The smart money says the U.S. economy will splinter, with some states thriving, some states not, and all eyes are on California as the nightmare scenario. After a hair-raising visit with former governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, who explains why the Golden State has cratered, Michael Lewis goes where the buck literally stops—the local level, where the likes of San Jose mayor Chuck Reed and Vallejo ﬁre chief Paige Meyer are trying to avert even worse catastrophes and rethink what it means to be a society.
Some older Lewis pieces here:
- [Aug 23, 2011: Michael Lewis - It's the Economy, Dummkopf!]
- [Feb 1, 2011: [Video] CNBC - Michael Lewis on Ireland and his new Vanity Fair article]
- [Jun 1, 2010: NYT - Michael Lewis Op-Ed on America's Financial Reform, plus Audio Interview]
- [Mar 15, 2010: [Video] 60 Minutes- Michael Lewis, Inside the Collapse]
- [Jun 14, 2009: Fareed Zakaria with Michael Lewis]
- [Jan 5, 2009: New York Times Opinion Piece by Lewis and Einhorn]