The last month was down from the previous few, but still a solid $430,000 of pledges; this takes the total amount to 101% of the initial goal of $7M. The "fund is funded" - at least virtually, will need to wait until the real thing this summer for the real iteration. (need to change the website name now?) The total number of investors is now about 220. I will continue with my normal conservative projection of a $300-350K monthly run rate of pledges go forward for the next 4-5 months, which will take us to our goal for funds necessary by next summer. From here, hopefully a buffer of pledges can be built in case some proportion of people will not follow through.
If you are a person potentially interested and new(er) to the website, here are the pertinent posts to become familiar with the specifics.
- The overall goal and why I'm aiming for $7 approx million [Jan 7, 2008: Reader "Pledges" Toward Mutual Fund Launch]
- Frequently Asked Questions [May 26, 2008: Frequently Asked Questions] Very important to read
- Why I need your state [May 23, 2008: Investment Pledges by State] Keep in mind a state's eligibility can be turned "on" overnight once we're up and running
- Most recent updates (this November) [Nov 4, 2009: General Updates]
- Our story in Barron's [A New Kind of Fund Manager]
Let me copy the same caveats for pledges as always:
- Assume a pledge amount that is firm based on a
fundopening in summer 2010.
- Assume at any point in 2010 the market may be down 30% from here
- Make your pledge based on liquid assets that are not currently in some high octane mutual
fundthat loses 40% when the market falls 30%, nor gains 50% when the market gains 40%. That money is not something that can be counted on in a volatile market.
- Please have whatever monies are pledged to the fund, in money market or equivalent by April 2010 so it is not at risk in the market.
Format for fund pledge: first name, last initial, pledged amount, and state you live in. To be clear, you are not sending me money that I'm going to hold until launch when you 'pledge' - you are simply making a verbal commitment: "when you are up and running, I have $X amount ready to invest". You can attach a comment to this post or as most people do, send me an email (my email address is found on the upper right of the blog) with the above information. I'd prefer an email if possible.
|Michelle T (Bob)||20,000||CT|
|Ron S*||100,000||FL (sailing)|
|Nick E||30,000||Z-New Zealand|
|% of Goal||101.0%|