On the negative front new orders fell, inventories rose, and employment fell. On the positive side some pressure in prices subsided.
WHAT RESPONDENTS ARE SAYING...
- "Sales and customer traffic recovered slightly, pulling even with last year after trending lower for several months. Discretionary spending per customer has continued to decline in all areas of the operation." (Arts, Entertainment & Recreation)
- "Sales volumes are steady. Input costs are increasing." (Agriculture, Forestry, Fishing & Hunting)
- "Business outlook remains steady, but concerns about the second half of the year remain." (Professional, Scientific & Technical Services)
- "Municipal government has not bounced back at a similar pace to the private sector." (Public Administration)
- "New home construction is still very slow. Repair and remodel is the only bright spot." (Wholesale Trade)
- "Commodities cooling off and dropping a bit." (Retail Trade)
|ISM NON-MANUFACTURING SURVEY RESULTS AT A GLANCE|
COMPARISON OF ISM NON-MANUFACTURING AND ISM MANUFACTURING SURVEYS*
|Backlog of Orders||44.0||48.5||-4.5||Contracting||Faster||2||45.0||49.0||-4.0|
|New Export Orders||49.0||57.0||-8.0||Contracting||From Growing||1||54.0||53.5||+0.5|
|Inventory Sentiment||59.5||58.5||+1.0||Too High||Faster||170||N/A||N/A||N/A|