Specific to the ISM report, new orders shrunk relatively dramatically, and employment was flattish. As with ISM Manufacturing the bright spot is a large drop in prices.
WHAT RESPONDENTS ARE SAYING ...
- "Business is still up, although some softening seen over last month." (Wholesale Trade)
- "Orders are remaining steady, and outlook for this year is positive." (Professional, Scientific & Technical Services)
- "Economic activity continues to be sluggish." (Management of Companies & Support Services)
- "Have yet to see a real spark that ignites new and invigorated business — still seems lethargic and mired in recession-related preventative moves, and no one sees a real improvement ahead." (Public Administration)
- "Commodities coming down in price, which should help stabilize inflation." (Retail Trade)
|ISM NON-MANUFACTURING SURVEY RESULTS AT A GLANCE |
COMPARISON OF ISM NON-MANUFACTURING AND ISM MANUFACTURING SURVEYS*
|Backlog of Orders||48.5||55.0||-6.5||Contracting||From Growing||1||49.0||50.5||-1.5|
|New Export Orders||57.0||57.0||0.0||Growing||Same||10||53.5||55.0||-1.5|
|Inventory Sentiment||58.5||55.0||+3.5||Too High||Faster||169||N/A||N/A||N/A|