As for the market, we are quite stretched to the downside - at S&P 1300 the index is off 3.3% since the close Tuesday and most of the technical secondary indicators have quickly reached oversold levels. It's head spinning action as we jump from overbought to oversold within days. The 100 day moving average remains key at 1307; bulls would definitely like to see the S&P 500 close back above that level as this is the first intraday break of this average since March - and only the second such event since September 2010. I would be harvesting any short side gains here not pressing on the downside due to nothing else but the 'rubber band effect' - we've fallen a long way in 3 sessions and you are in danger of that cursory oversold bounce. If the S&P 500 fall to new lows on the day than you have to change course & re-engage on the short side. But that's very short term - we still appear to be in a bearish condition intermediate term.
Full ISM report here.
WHAT RESPONDENTS ARE SAYING ...
- "Business is O.K. Fuel prices and truck availability are starting to be a negative force on our supply chain." (Agriculture, Forestry, Fishing & Hunting)
- "Business conditions are stabilized." (Health Care & Social Assistance)
- "First and second quarters of 2011 have been up 25 percent over 2010; however, we expect a slight slowdown over the summer months." (Professional, Scientific & Technical Services)
- "Uncertainty within commodity markets, especially fuel- and oil-based products, is putting pressure once again and forcing us to retrench as we look for stability. We expect the remainder of 2011 and at least the first two quarters of 2012 to be tumultuous." (Retail Trade)
- "Volatile commodity prices adding stress to meat and dairy producers; increasing fuel prices are a problem for many." (Wholesale Trade)
|ISM NON-MANUFACTURING SURVEY RESULTS AT A GLANCE |
COMPARISON OF ISM NON-MANUFACTURING AND ISM MANUFACTURING SURVEYS*
|Backlog of Orders||55.0||55.5||-0.5||Growing||Slower||5||50.5||61.0||-10.5|
|New Export Orders||57.0||53.5||+3.5||Growing||Faster||9||55.0||62.0||-7.0|
|Inventory Sentiment||55.0||57.5||-2.5||Too High||Slower||168||N/A||N/A||N/A|