I was joking in the earlier piece when it was noted Riverbed Technology (RVBD) rallied 50% between the last earnings report and this one, when I said let's do ANOTHER 50%.
Well, maybe it's no joke - the stock has put on 20% today, so only 30% more to go. Yikes.
And this is why people love to gamble on earning reports - the 'thrill' of one of these makes the -15 or -20% losses from those that disappoint seem like bad dreams.
Predictably, the computers are running into F5 Networks (FFIV) and Acme Packet (APKT) - although those have little to do with RVBD's business, but they are the good ole 'momo / pseudo cloud' names - if anything Blue Coat Systems (BCSI) [a real peer] should be surging instead. But HAL9000 is just not that sophisticated.
As an aside, as I search around the "cloud" for some "rare earth metals" as I "netflix" myself to prosperity, I found a "burrito". The one growth stock of the past 3 years I have talked about but never added to the portfolio once - bummer.
Long Riverbed Technology, Acme Packet in fund; no personal position
Friday, October 22, 2010
Riverbed Technology (RVBD) 20% Down, 30% to Go
Best Of FMMF
- 1: Warren Buffet Piles on Europe
- 2: [Video] Jim Chanos Returns from Europe, Even More Bearish on China
- 3: A Chart to Open Our Eyes - Staggering Changes by Multinationals in Employment Behavior 00s vs 90s
- 4: Futures Blasted on Dexia Woes... and Poor Preliminary China Data
- 5: Market Working to Worst Thanksgiving Since 1932
- 6: Et Tu, German Bonds? Poor Auction Raises Eyebrows