Thursday, September 23, 2010

Bookkeeping: Restarted "Insurance" Policy SPY Put Position

Back down at S&P 1050ish, some 3+ weeks ago I bought a small (1%ish) SPY Put position in case 1040 broke, as a 'portfolio' insurance.  My plan was to hold it for 7 weeks and/or until the market broke support and a 'woosh' down happened.  In retrospect that was a day or two away from the ultimate bottom and I changed my mind the very next day as we experienced a strong bounce.  I believe that was the day before the Chinese PMI data in fact.  I am sure those October puts now would be near zilch.

Now the S&P 500 is some 80 points higher so I am going to put a similar form of 'portfolio' insurance on but my goals will be more modest.  I simply want the gap at S&P 1090 to fill sometime in the next few months.  Hence I've bought a modest stake (1.1%) in SPY Dec 110 puts.  By buying so far in the future I should not face much decay in the next 60 days or so, so the performance will be based mostly on what the market does which is exactly what I want.   If the market keeps running and running and running the chances of this working out will be poor.  But if I can get my 40 S&P points even this very modest put position should give some very nice profits.  I'll have a 12 week window.

Long SPY Dec 110 puts in fund; no personal position


Disclaimer: The opinions listed on this blog are for educational purpose only. You should do your own research before making any decisions.
This blog, its affiliates, partners or authors are not responsible or liable for any misstatements and/or losses you might sustain from the content provided.

Copyright @2012